First, check out this video from Johnson and Johnson, proud promoter of the nursing profession.
What is Nursing?
Nursing is the largest healthcare profession in the United States. The emphasis in nursing is protecting, promoting, and optimizing health. It encompasses the care of individuals, families, groups, and communities and embraces an inter-professional team approach. The practice of nursing blends science and technology with the art of caring and compassion. Nursing professionals focus on health promotion and disease prevention as well as provide restorative care to persons in a variety of settings. Nurses provide care for individuals, families, and communities with a holistic approach. Nurses advocate, conduct research, shape healthcare policy, educate others, manage patient care and lead health systems.
Characteristics valued in nursing include: Empathy, effective communication skills, critical thinking, organizational skills, logic, physical/emotional health and well-being, commitment and caring in a variety of health care settings.
Diversifying the nursing workforce is important to the provision of health care for the increasingly diverse population of the United States. Nursing needs more men, greater ethnic minority representation, and nurses who will practice in rural areas.
Making a Decision
- Preparing for College
- Foundational College Courses
- English Composition 1 and 2
- College Algebra
- Physiology 1 and 2
Pathways to Become a Nurse
- Educational Paths
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) programs
- Accelerated BSN Programs
- RN-BSN Programs
- Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) programs
- LPN-BSN Programs
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) programs
- Educational Resources
- Free college planning education counseling & material- https://educationquest.org
- Financial Resources
- Career Days/Career Camps – Connect with nursing school admissions’ departments and college preparation programs to facilitate involvement
- Local Area Health Education Centers (AHEC)
- Keeping Students Rooted: College Retention