Happy Holidays Nebraska Nurses! Looking back on 2012, I can say it has been a pleasure for me to serve as Director of the NAC and work with you to transform healthcare in Nebraska. I want to thank you for your passion, support, and work to spread the word in our state. Together we will write a new chapter in the history of our profession and patient care improvement. To accomplish this I encourage you to help spread the message. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter. Just click the button, like us, and share with your family, friends, and colleagues to move this initiative forward – time is of the essence!
- Meetings with MadonnaRehabHospital and Lincoln Chamber of Commerce. Invited to speak to NHA Board on Jan 23 in Lincoln
- Submitted addendum for SIP grant through RWJF. Positive feedback received- optimistic that we will win award at the end of January.
- Letter to the Editor from NAC on Sunday, Dec. 9 – https://www.omaha.com/article/20121209/NEWS0802/712099973
- Meeting with Jonas Scholar (RWJF doctoral student honoree) Michelle Johnson- involve in pushing IOM Recommendations
- Cool pocket guide with the NAC vision, mission, elevator speech, talking points, contact info, scan code, and FB and Twitter info. Hope to send out after the first of the year
The NAC greatly appreciates donations in the past 2 months from:
- Jean Farnam – NebraskaMethodistCollege $30
- MethodistHospital $1000
- Steph Burge – UNMC Kearney $100
- St.FrancisHospital, Grand Island $2500
Education Team: Draft of BSN competencies was presented to the NANDD meeting held in Kearney December 6. Feedback sought by March 2013. Input will be sought from the NAC Practice and Leadership Teams in the next two months
Leadership Team: Updated action plan through SIP grant application Merging Leadership and Education to Implement IOM recommendations in Nebraska. As part of the Nebraska Action Coalition – Future of Nursing’s initiative we want Nebraska nurses to see themselves as leaders from the bedside to the boardroom. These are opportunities to help you on your journey:
- NAC’s Leadership Module link at www.neactioncoalition.org
Practice Team: First meeting held on the 407 Review Process on Scope of Practice for Nurse Practitioners on Dec., 14th with testimony delivered by L. Lazure. Many hours of work have gone into collaborating with our NNP partners.
Featured Articles (Resources from www.campaignforaction.org
Education: Panelists identified the shortage of nursing faculty as a major challenge, as prospective students are wait-listed and existing nurses are unable to continue their education. The panel recommended that employers and higher education providers must collaborate to improve program access. Find out more about the panel and report here.
Leadership: Opinion Leaders Say Nurses Should Have More Influence on Health Systems & Services
Practice: Advancing Health in Rural America: Maximizing Nursing’s Impact (June 2011). Examines the challenges of providing access to quality, affordable care in rural areas. Evidence shows that nurses can provide care to meet the complex health needs in rural areas. https://campaignforaction.org/sites/default/files/rural-health-nursing-gorski.pdf